Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 1 with little ones

Mistake 1:  Nearly distributed the whole stake of worksheets to children.  I blame my nervousness. Kids, and some adults, might forget to bring the next lesson.

Mistake 2:  Asked them to organize their individual ordered worksheets into daily stack. I gave an example and asked them to follow me from behind. Terrible mess. 2 out of 14 students succeeded.

Mistake 3:  Re-arrange the table and chairs too near a small board. He accidentally knocked on it. The board fell on him, he cried, principal came in, she gave him sticker, he declined and dried his tears after the pain subsided. Our man!

Mistake 4:  Helped the slower students with their worksheets while some boys played with the chalk on the board. The girls complaint; I didn't stop them.  If this persist, sooner of later, they will climb over my head.

Mistake 5:  Let the students out of the classroom when the school bell rang.  One girl went missing!  Her mother went frantic and nearly cried! The principal questioned me.  I was puzzled and afraid.  How careless!  Few minutes later, the mother's phone rang.  The girl's grandma came to picked her. End of panic.

Conclusion for Day 1 for International Tuition School English Camp, Level 1, 5-7 years old, 16 kids:

1.  35%  followed me dancing "Our School will Shine Today", the rest mumbled and were shy to lift their arms.


2.  32% sang "School Song".  The words are quite difficult for their level.  Some smiled.

3.  89% ziraffah-ed their necks to see the pictures of 'The Pied Piper of Hamelin' on my netbook.  62% guessed the storyline when I paused for suspense.  When I asked what is the moral of story, they answered "Mouse eat cheese!" -_-"



4.  I guessed the story might be hard.  So borrowed a BIG BOOK "Mamo and His Promise".  The boy cat ate the fish though he promised mummy cat he wouldn't.  He lied and broke his promise.  Sister Cat scolded him, he apologized to mom and mom praised his honesty.  99% eyes on me when I meowed and yeah, they love BIG BOOKS.

5.  Musical Instruments.  I prepared 8, those with rice and beans inside containers.  50% without instruments were extremely sad; some carefree ones just clapped and marched behind me when old spiritual "When the Saints Go Marching In" was played. Spontaneously made another 6 instruments.




6.  All are helpful in arranging desk to match softboards on the floor for story telling time. 



7.  68% did poor colouring. 

Reflection:  I'm glad I didn't break into tears before them, due to personal emotions.  When little Felice held my arms around her little neck, I felt all the energy draining hours before were worthwhile.  Oh, she was the adorable one the went missing.

Lesson Learnt: Do not...


(P/s I told him)


----Humor is the spiciest condiment in the feast of existence. Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them, joke over your troubles but gather strength from them, make a jest of your difficulties but overcome them.


Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)-----



2 comments:

  1. Oh Lucy!
    I didnt knew u had a rough start! You looked wonderfully calm on the first day!
    *hugs*
    Sorry for not stopping by to ask more about your day.. but i'm sure you're adapting well by now!
    Jia you & may it be an unforgettable 2 weeks experience for us both! =)

    ReplyDelete