Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Phonics is Fun

"I don't want! I don't like!  It's not fun!"  cried little Rainbow.

"Be good, boy.  Enter the class.  Mummy will buy a lego set for you later, promise," his mother persuaded.

It's Day 2 for ITS English Camp at Tabuan Desa Branch.  'Our man' caught me by surprised when he burst into tears before the whole class.  He resisted and fought back Principal Yu and his mother.

My heart sank.  Have I failed as his teacher? Why was he so reluctant to enter my class?

I had a rough night.  I woke up as early as 4am and cried myself back to sleep.  No, it's not the kids.  They are God sent angels. 

After singing 'The More We Get Together', little Rainbow entered the class, accompanied by Principal Yu.  Thankfully she's a wonderful lady and having her presence in class is not as daunting as my supervisor Puan Ashley for practicum.  Bless you Mdm Yu!

Little Rainbow continued to buried his head in his folded arms, face down on the baby table. 


Richard has asian black hair :P
"What is your name?  What do you like? How old are you?" - Ice breaking.

"Rainbow?" Still, he ignored and face down.

"Rainbow is tired. We have to be quiet to let him sleep awhile, ok children?"

The other 15 kids nodded.  They had been quite quiet after they witnessed Rainbow's outburst.


----------miracle after 15 minutes-------when I started to teach Phonics----

A ~ A a~  A a a ~ A a a a~

Amy Ant, Amy Ant,
What do you say?
I say A a,
Amy, Amy ant!

B~  B b~  B b b ~ B b b b~

Blue Bird, Blue Bird,
What do you say?
I say B b,
Blue, Blue Bird.

C~ C c~ C c c ~ C c c c~

Candy Cat, Candy Cat,
What do you say?
I say C c,
Candy, Candy Cat.



Rainbow woke up with a BIGGGGGG smile~! The rainbow is out after a heavy rainpour~!!  He got so excited suddenly and even rose from his chair and rehearsed the phonics along~!


Of all the games, the kids actually enjoyed this the most! @_@

-------------during recess, 10am-----another surprise----------------

Rainbow held my arms and dragged me near him.

He whispered "Teacher, you forgot to say grace yesterday.  Pray." He clasped his hands and bowed.

Despite having my hands guiding another kid doing her worksheet, I actually turned around and looked him into the eyes.  Such a darling!

Though my school do not allow us to pray before the class, due to religion being a sensitive issue in this country, I could thank God in my heart, and, yes, Rainbow did say his grace before munching his doughnuts :)


Thank you children, for bringing rainbows into my world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment