Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Drama

5 minutes to 11pm. Can you believe our teacher's meeting just ended? Clock in at 6:35am this morning, clock out at 10:50pm. Time to eradicate the mind set that teachers work half day.  It's an extremely tiring day, most probably due to the physio exercise. Freshen up, curled up in bed, lent 'Perfect Match' to a teacher, so decided to update my blog again. Note: This is not a professional blog, and I don't intend to make it professional simply because .... this is one of my refuge where I can pour out, and assure myself that you visitors are my God sent listeners. Arigatok.








Photo: *breathe in and out, slowly* Finally, this is it. 32 years to go into this profession.

Thank you God for the passion for teaching is still burning. I pray, it will only glow brighter, especially at the darkest time. I understand, having the future generation as our clients is a huge responsibility.  Forsake me not & give me enough love to spread to my kids. 

In the process, let's  rejoice & celebrate this wonderful life with the people God sent into our lives ♥

In Jesus name,  I pray, Amen! :)
*breathe in and out, slowly* Finally, this is it. 32 years to go into this profession.

Thank you God for the passion for teaching is still burning. I pray, it will only glow brighter, especially at the darkest time. I understand, having the future generation as our clients is a huge responsibility. Forsake me not & give me enough love to spread to my kids.

In the process, let's rejoice & celebrate this wonderful life with the people God sent into our lives ♥

In Jesus name, I pray, Amen! :) - c/p from my FB, again :P
  


Honestly, there is nothing to brag about this piece of paper. Every teacher will eventually receive it, just a matter of time. Nonetheless, I can't hide my joy upon receiving this letter of confirmation. It's symbolic because it sorta releases me from the probation period. As Puan Aminah advised, with great power comes great responsibility.




Photo: Amazed by the students' enthusiasm!

Day 2: Kapit Division Basic Theatre Workshop

How to train students to "not be noisy" in class: Take a book and whisper out the words.

The creative techniques:
#1 sit and whisper.
#2 stand.
#3 lie flat on tummy.
#4 lie side ways. 
#5 lie facing ceiling
#6 squat
Amazed by the students' enthusiasm!

Day 2: Kapit Division Basic Theatre Workshop

How to train students to "not be noisy" in class: Take a book and whisper out the words.

The creative techniques:
#1 sit and whisper.
#2 stand.
#3 lie flat on tummy.
#4 lie side ways.
#5 lie facing ceiling
#6 squat
  



Photo: Belajar dari kejatuhan. Kalau ulang kesilapan yang sama, kita bodoh. We should bounce back.

Love letters activity:
Students thanked their parents mostly. Promised to strive hard for success. 

One student outshines the others. A potential leader is discovered.
Belajar dari kejatuhan. Kalau ulang kesilapan yang sama, kita bodoh. We should bounce back.

Love letters activity:
Students thanked their parents mostly. Promised to strive hard for success.

One student outshines the others. A potential leader is discovered.
  


I love this basic theater workshop SO MUCH! I like the facilitator, Mr Zach. Not only does he know his subject matter well, truly talented actor; he's also a great motivator. I like how his eyes and actions speak to the 30 participants. They are hooked to him throughout the entire program.

Boy am I lucky to be have the opportunity to select and bring these students to join this workshop. Other English teachers couldn't make it, and since opportunity knocks but once, I said 'yes boss' without hesitation and .....the other side of the coin was that I caused discomfort to yet another colleague. Sorry teachers, for choosing your students to participate in this workshop which I highly regard as beneficial, but in your eyes, skipping classes for this is not right. (Alright, I feel like deleting this post now.)

Do you feel the freedom of speech is shrinking as we grow older?

For example, at the discipline meeting tonight, we teachers are reminded not to sms/fb using mobile phone while in class.  That's a rule everyone must abide. But the thing is, I do use the dictionary app in my smartphone (blame my limited vocabulary, but hey, that's why dictionaries are invented) and sometimes I google for photos for my kids to see, on the spot, in the class. Comparing to the Boston Marathon Bombing, this is really nothing worth to mention. Beh...

Count blessings:

This afternoon, we did a 'love letter writing' activity: the aim is to encourage students' to pour out their feelings to their loved ones. I am so touched by their letters. Most of them wrote to their parents, apologizing for they're not obedient children and promising their parents they will study hard and be successful to make them proud. I nearly cried upon reading the first few letters until ..... I came across one letter: kepada orang yang sayangi iaitu orang yang tiada kebebasan. He wrote about anarchy, about freedom, justice, the rich VS the poor, social discrimination and ended with, Bangunlah Orang Timur!

At his tender age of 17, he's felt the freedom is robbed off his people. According to Mr Zach, this boy has a lot of positive energy in him, he just needs to know where to direct the flow of the energy to. Yesterday, when they were assigned a simple dramatization based on feelings: angry, sad, nervous, shy, sarcastic etc, his expression was something I'll remember for the days to come, if not years. When he outburst the dialogue 'MARAH', he really showed it by having his red blood pumping up and redden his fair face, his nose even shivered and his eyes, wide opened. Everyone in the library was taken aback. Ah, such talented actor, his first attempt and he did fantastically. Imagine if he's a good coach or given more opportunities to explore and use his talents.

Another blessing:

My 3J actually approached me and asked if I'll enter their class today (they know I'm exempted from work for 3 days for this workshop) because they want to have SPELLING! Geez, this little request that comes from the weakest class sent booster potion to me instantly. Coincidentally, the participants were having their tea break/group discussion, so I asked for permission and joyfully entered my favourite 3J. (I do like 3E too, and 3F my own class, 3B is my hope, and upper 6A1 is my where I can communicate with them in English) All in all, I am just so grateful that I love every class appointed to me.

p/s They (including the naughty boys) smiled so brightly when they saw me and I even heard 'I like you!' .....not bragging but it's my nature to share my happiness. Also, they moved their chairs to sit in front of me. Schematically, it's not right to move from your seats, more so, lift your chairs; BUT, they moved to come closer, they raise up their hands enthusiastically to answer; they shouted out of excitement, aren't those worth praising? BUT, no, THAT'S WRONG. Wrong, because I failed to be a police officer; I should double check with Miss Pauline if their enthusiasm disrupted the neighbouring class.



Photo: Teaching is the easy part! 

Shoot, 11:45pm. Time to key in the number of books read by students at i-Nilam, 120 students...

Oh, when will I fall in love with these unnecessary paper work?

No comments:

Post a Comment